Friday, June 22, 2012

Anthropometry

In an exciting turn of events, I was taken along to the field the other day as the photographer for an anthropometry training session. Anthropometry is the measurement of people, and doing it in a way that is accurate and standardized is a key piece of measuring growth as part of a study. This session involved our  interviewers practicing all of the different measurements on volunteer kids. I promised at the outset that I would not post pictures from the training online, because they are confidential and study property and such. Still, I thought I would write about it briefly because I really am trying to keep my blog updated with what goes on here and because it was a fun and extremely demanding day of photography. The office where the training took place was small with dim lighting and kids move constantly, especially when you are trying to measure them, so I have hundreds of  blurry pictures of children. Still, the 30-some pictures where I managed to get the focus and shutter speed right are tremendously exciting and the whole day gave me the push I needed to take off the training wheels and switch to using full manual mode.

To keep the post from being too dull, here is a picture I really like from the training session day of a kid who had nothing to do with the study.



1 comment:

  1. Rebecca,

    Dr. Ahsan asked me to post this for him because he was unable to post a comment:
    "Thanks a lot
    I wanted to post a note on the blog but was unable to do so:i do not have any account.
    Can you please post it: thanks? I wrote in green and red (the flag of bangladesh)

    Absoltely nostalgic and I barely could hold tears
    Dear Becca:

    Hope all is well.You mom shared the photos and thanks to her.

    You have captured some of the amazing shots (as kids, we also used follow the Bideshis).You are neither a Bideshi nor a Pardeshi, you are more than a Deshi in Bangladesh: a country still has innocent faces of children and humbless of the elders (these innocents were brutally killed by Pakis in 1971: we have forgiven them but Pakis never asked forgiveness).
    Thanks for what you and your team are doing for a country which could always use new ideas.

    Tagore's song (and the national anthem)
    O Amar Sonar Bangla Ami Tomai Bhalo Bashi
    (Oh my golden banlga, I love you so much)
    Chirodin Tomar Akash Tomar Batash, Amar Prane Bajai Bashi,O Amar Sonar Bangla Ami Tomai Bhalo Bashi
    (everyday your [Bangladesh] sky, your air play flute in my heart, Oh my golden Bangla,I love you so much)
    God bless you and stay safe.
    Best

    Ahsans, JAX, FL"

    ReplyDelete