Friday, June 22, 2012

Walks in Gaibandha


This is just a quick post to share some of the photos I have taken over the last few weeks. Things have gotten quite busy here, which has cut into my photography time and my blogging time. Still, I have taken my camera on a few walks around Gaibandha and managed to catch pictures of some interesting things. There is a new album called "Gaibandha Walks" in Picasa that has more pictures from the last few weeks.

To begin with, these are my walking buddies, the other ladies who live in the faculty house.


The pack of spectators following us is pretty typical. As we walk we tend to have a group of 10-20 kids walking with us that turns over as some kids reach what I assume is the boundary of their play area and other kids notice the bideshis and join the parade.

Here are a few pictures of the scenery.




These are baris (households) that are pretty typical of our study area and the region.




This is a brick factory, which is a really common sight in the parts of the country I have seen.


This is a kid using a tubewell, a manual water pump that pumps from below the surface water and  is responsible for the reasonably low rate of water-borne illness here.


These are my absolute favorite. This man was selling fish by the side of the road. When he realized I was taking pictures he posed like this, displaying the fish.



I am optimistic that this weekend will include time for more photography, perhaps in the main Gaibandha City market, so check back soon for new posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment